Sunday, April 4, 2010

Don't Look At Me!

When I finally made up my mind to go through the process of getting dreads..I was very sure about the decision I had made. There were two people who inspired me to go natural, my father and my aunt. The outcome of their locs was phenomenal, I had never seen anything more unique/beautiful. Going natural for me was for myself. I wanted change, I wanted things to be more simple when it came to my hair..not a headache or an insecurity.I remember having relaxed hair and it was great, for the first couple of weeks. Then it was back to the dreaded new growth..I begin to wonder, what is really so bad about new growth what am I running from. Since I can remember I use to always have my hair pressed and my hair was really long. But no sooner had I began to receive relaxers, my hair had never grown past my shoulders..I knew that wasn't right.

I didn't know what my hair would be like without a relaxer. To be honest I got to the point where I didn't care.. at the end of the day I said its just hair. My hair can't run my life, a lot of us especially women will not go out to the club,swimming or even church if our hair is not cute. And yea it's funny but its sort of sad, we have to learn to accept ourselves. Nappy which isn't a word that we came up with people..(but that's another story) but since that's the term we've come to use, I'm going to say that Nappy isn't bad.It's beautiful and maybe one day the permed or relaxed sista who is reading these words will venture on her journey and find a whole other beauty she never knew she had.



Words and video by
Moecah

No comments:

Post a Comment