Saturday, July 3, 2010

You're Ghetto

I cannot stand it when people dub something/someone ghetto for petty reasons. The ghetto is the name for a poor community of people often being immigrants or minority. People use the word as an adjective for all things they feel are bad and wrong. Ghetto is a noun, it is a place not a state of being. Just because someone lives in a ghetto or a project does not mean that they are bad nor all of the things they do. Yes it's true, bad things can and do happen in the ghetto; however, bad things happen everywhere. We could dissect this topic and have plenty to debate on, agree on, and disagree on. So I'll narrow the focus.

It's grinds my gears when people say things like:
- "Hey, look at those people over there on the front porch in the kitchen chairs"
and someone else responds "That's GHETTO!"

Now excuse me for my "ghetto-ness" but if it's one hunneds degrees outside and you don't have air condition or lawn chairs I don't give a got damn if it's ghetto or not I'm sitting my ghetto ass out side on the porch and as far as it being the front porch if it's my house it doesn't matter what side I choose to sit on. And that's for damn sure!!!!! "

I have another scenario:
I told my cousin I thought baggy clothes were ghetto, and unprofessional. She asked me why, and I couldn't give her one good reason. In that moment I realized I was being superficial. The tables turned on me though when my cousin and I made this really catchy rap for my voice mail, and more than one person told me I was being unprofessional. My argument is that I will do the same GOOD work with the voice mail, that I would without it. I feel it is my personal phone and voice mail, and it shouldn't matter. Might I add it's a clean rap too, no profanity or double entendres. I like the rap, and it really is fitting because my profession is art. IT IS CREATIVE! To tie this in with being ghetto if a person is going to work hard, they are going to work hard regardless, so who am I to judge them for wearing baggy clothes. There work is what speaks for them, there clothes do not. Fabric does not speak.

Sincerely Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment