Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Photo Says it All


(photo courtesy of my.opera.com)


In this day and age of technology, there are many ways in
which a person can showcase their creativity. Whether you are
a painter, dancer, or writer; the internet allows you to showcase
your work on a global level. Creativity shows that a person
has an active imagination and the ability to express their emotions
in a way many cannot.





One day while looking on a friends facebook profile, I decided
to look at their "Notes" section. In this section of a facebook
profile a person can choose to write stories, inpirational quotes,
poems, or any form of writing they choose. I happened to stumble
upon a poem this person had titled "The Mystery of Iniquity"
now mind you I am an avid AVID fan of LAURYN HILL and on
her 2002 album Unplugged 2.0 she had a song called (wait for it,
wait for it..) "THE MYSTERY OF INIQUITY". So as I read the
title I already assumed I was about to read some plagerism but
then I thought maybe her title was simply an inspiration for
a poem he decided to write.

I decided to continue reading and read that he had copied

her song WORD FOR WORD!! He did not put that the song
was by her or that it was not his own poetry. He had allowed
many people to post comments telling him how amazing of a
poet he was and he was responding by saying thank you and
saying how its really hard for him to come up with great poetry
like that and how it was a "gift." It disgusted me.





I called him out on it and he eventually deleted it from his
profile but the point is he had the audacity to steal the words
and ideas that came from another person's mind and call it his
own.


People may not realize it but that is kinda like mentally raping

someone. When people come up with stories, music, paintings,
dances all of these things come from inspirations that they get from
their lives, their experiences, their moments of feeling up and down.
To take someone elses ideas is like robbing them of their experience
and calling it your own. I, myself am a writer and on some occasions
it takes many long grueling hours to come up with an interesting
or thought provoking piece and to find out someone else stole it
is gut wrenching.

ANY time I quote someone, use a picture, song lyric, piece of

writing, even quote part of a convo i've had with a friend I will
either reference the person that came up with it or at least
let people know that it is not of my own thoughts.




Basically what I'm trying to say is keep it real, dont steal people's

ideas because it truly shows who and what you are as a person.
It exposes your true capablities and it ultimately makes you look
less credible when people find out you plagerized.



-Ecl
ecticFlavor

No comments:

Post a Comment